NEW: Top Groups View
Are you looking to identify the most active groups in particular markets? Are you looking to monitor market activity of your named accounts? This video will help you understand how to use the new Top Groups view for both new business prospecting and managing named accounts. Please scroll below the video to view the how-to article for this topic.
The Top Groups tab allows you to view a list of the top groups by event count within your filtered data set and compare their growth year over year across market brands. Select an individual group by clicking on the group name to view a more detailed breakdown of that growth, as well as a link to view in the group's event information in further detail on Group Overview tab.
This tab can be filtered by event year and month, hotel brand group, chain scale, brand, market, region, group industry and industry sub-segment, event largest room, multi-night events, and weekend events.
Top Group List
The first chart on the Top Groups tab is the top group list: A dynamic chart that lists up to 300 of the top groups by all-time event count for your selected filters. The values displayed and the colors of each cell are determined by the metric that you choose, the year-over-year type, and the original year against which you compare.
There are 2 ways to view this top groups list: Brand group view and Market view. The default view is Brand group view. Select 'Market View' near the top of the tab to switch to view the distribution of the groups by markets.
- Brand Group View: This shows the distribution of the groups by brand groups visited. The brand groups are listed in alphabetical order. Use the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the chart to scroll to see other brand groups. You can click on a brand group name to see the distribution of brands within that brand group. You can see the number of hotels read in each brand group or brand in parentheses next to the brand group / brand name.
- Market View: This shows the distribution of the groups by markets visited. You can see the number of hotels read in each market in parentheses next to the market name
The top group list can be viewed by different metrics. The metrics control what value is displayed in the table:
- ∆ Year over Year Event Count: The calculation of the change in total events in your current filtered data set between the selected year and the year prior (for the year-over-year type you choose).
- ∆ Year over Year Percent Share: The percentage change of a brand group’s percent share of a specific organization’s business within the current filtered data set and between the selected year and the year prior (for the year-over-year type you choose).
- ∆ Year over Year Percent Growth: The percentage growth of an organization’s use of a specific brand group between the selected year and the year prior (for the year-over-year type you choose).
- Total Event Count: The number of events for a specific organization at an individual brand group within the current filtered data set.
If you have selected a Year over Year metric (first three metrics listed above), the numbers seen in the chart are looking at the difference in event count between a selected year and its previous year. You can also select whether or not you want to compare full years, or if you want to only compare for the year-to-date (which always uses the current date). The value of a cell affects the color of the cell. Red implies negative change and green implies positive change. A darker color indicates a bigger change. For example, dark red indicates a large decrease while light red indicates a small decrease.
The far right column of the top groups list will always be the grand total column. This column is useful for seeing whether or not the metric you are currently viewing is with or against the current trend for a specific organization.
For example: If the grand total cell for “∆ Year over Year Event Count” is dark green, denoting a relatively large positive value, but the cell for a certain brand group is red, you can deduce that that brand group is holding fewer events for that organization, even though the organization is holding more events overall.
Share By Year and Share by Market
The Top Groups tab allows you to focus on an organization/group from the top group list by clicking on the group name. This will display more detailed data for that group in the bottom 2 charts, Share By Year and Share By Market. Once selected, a link to the Group Overview tab will appear. Click on that link to go to the the Group Overview tab to see more information on the group.
The Share By Year chart will display the selected group’s total number of events for all the years within the selected filters. Each bar is colored to show the breakdown of events by quarter. Hovering over a bar reveals the event count for each quarter.
The Share by Market chart displays the markets the selected group has met in within the selected filters, sorted by all-time event count. Each bar is colored by the share of brand group. Hover on a bar to see the event count for that brand group in that market. Click on a bar to see a list beneath the chart of the hotels (up to the top 50) visited within that brand group and that market.